12:22 PM

Bubblegum and Pedicures

Thursday September 9, 2010

Today has been frustrating and symbolic. I had the whole day to myself, since everyone is back to work. The sun was shining for the first time since I got here, so, I decided to go for a walk around the neighbourhood.

My mission: to purchase something (anything!) just to know that I could....

So, I wandered passed a hardware store, clothing shop, and few restaurants, and finally came to a streetside news stand selling magazines, newspapers etc etc. this seemed like the least intimidating option of them all so I stepped inside and started gesturing at the gum and handed the man my money. It worked! this was a small but monumental victory!

On my way home, I stopped in at a beauty salon, four women in white uniforms were standing at the reception. I pointed to my fingers/toes and said ´quanto?´ (how much?) and they replied ´33 Reis´ (which is about $15CAD) for a manicure AND pedicure! holy! so, I made an appointment for later today (we both spoke in our native language, yet I know that I have an appointment at 4:30). lol.

Since I had the time today, I tried booking some hostels for the cities I plan to visit. but nobody spoke english at any of the places I called, so I am at square one. I´m finding it faaaaaaaaaaar more difficult than I anticipated to function here. On top of the culture shock, having no means to communicate makes things...interesting.

I am taking advantage of having a computer today, I uploaded some photos on facebook and checked out some places Id like to see...now I´m headed out again to people-watch in the park down the road...

3 comments:

Shelley said...

aaaaahhhhh, loving your blogs! If the mani/pedi are cheap also check out massages....they might be just as cheap and muchly needed! ha, ha!!

Heidi said...

oh yeah, totally needed! and as a matter of fact, I saw massages today for 20 ries ($10) for 30 minutes!! hmm...

manicures and massages, I am a terrible backpacker. lol.....

Heidi said...

side note: it was the coolest manicure/pedicure ever! They take you to a deck at the back of the salon, the roof was made of draped white fabric and you sit on wicker chairs. amazing.