1:59 PM

Heidi´s Big City Adventure

Friday September 10, 2010

I learned a valuable (and expensive) lesson yesterday about Brazil and their plug-ins. They have 110 and 220 volts in each outlet (one of each). In an attempt to be a good house guest, I started a pot of coffee in the morning, and didnt take note of which outlet I used to plug in the coffee maker (why would I!?). Needless to say, coffee machine vs. 220 volts....220 volts won. A trip to the shopping centre and 99 Reis later, I now know to check the plug ins first.

Today, Pe dropped me off on Paulista Avenue on his way to work, after a few hours of window shopping and walking around downtown, I started to relax and enjoy. I went to starbucks for a coffee, and the barista spoke english. I was telling him how, when it comes to Portuguese, I seemed to have forgotten EVERYTHING I learned!! He said it was the same for him when he went to the US, that he was really nervous to speak and it took him 3 months to get comfortable with it. His advice: dont be so nervous. So, he wrote down a few Brazilian musicians and suggested I listed to them, and sent me on my way.

Getting home from the city wasn´t so easy...I got myself really turned around, and forgot where the bus stop was. I tried ask a guard at the hospital, but he (obviously) didn´t understand me because he handed what I think was a guest pass and buzzed me into the lobby. lol.

When I finally found the bus stop, my bus took a different route from yesterday, and I totally started to panic. I´m not going to lie, my heart is in my throat whenever I am tying to navigate this huge metropolis on my own...its really hard to begin with (for anyone, even without the language barrier) but if you know me, you know I especially suck at directions. Even in Edmonton. It didn´t help that I forgot my phone at home too...(no comments needed here).

I finally made it home, and after a BIG exhale, I ventured out again- with my phone this time. I walked down the street to a cafe ordered a sandwich and a beer (and it only cost 9 ries! ($5). sitting outside and drinking a beer in the sun was a nice ending to the afternoon *insert high five here* for ordering my first meal on my own.

Tonight, I am meeting friends at O´Malleys for drinks. I can´t wait! Fabio, my Brazilian friend in Edmonton, told me about O´Malleys before I left (it is one of his favorite bars in SP) in fact, one of his mates might even meet me there! Should be a good night, but it´s bitter sweet, because I am well aware that after this weekend, I am on my own. And yes, I am losing a little sleep over that....

Anyway, I´m trying not to think about that too much. Tonight......we drink!!!!

6 comments:

Chantal said...

Ahhh you're doing great!! Have a wonderful night out! Take lots of embarassing photos. And don't worry about going out on your own next week. The best part is, from what I remember about backpacking, is you can't get lost when you don't have a home base. Remember its about the journey and not the destination. Make sure to take lots of mental snapshots and keep trying to talk to people, you never know who you're going to meet along the way.

Lots of love! Chantal

shelley said...

Yes, exacty what Chantal said: enjoy yourself, no itenerary, no plan, just fly by the seat of your pants and take in the moments!!! Have a wonderful day today and best wishes for an awesome birthday in Brazil - enjoy the concert tonight :) xo

Tyler said...

Well, Now that you've officially been lost it won't be as scary if it happens again. especially if you always carry change for a payphone, in case that thing we're not commenting on happens again. :)

I'm kind of surprised at how many people you're encountering who don't (or barely) speak English. Not to be ethnocentric or anything, but I understood that English was pretty commonly spoken all over the world, just because of the amount of business done with English speaking nations.

Jose-Luis said...

Very brave! I admire your spirit for adventuring in one of the biggest cities of the world. It's a thrill, it shapes your character and it can be real fun when you keep looking on "the bright side of life".

Tyler said...

oh, yeah, I almost forgot! Happy birthday, Sis.

coe2@shaw.ca said...

Belated happy birthday indeed Heidi! It's one you'll never forget! I finally got your blog address from Tyler minutes ago.

Cool breeze whafts through my balcony window at this midnight hour as I sit sipping a room-temperature beer and scan your postings.

Wow, lady! What wonderful writing! Along with your other achievements, you have a promising career as a writer...!

From your first paragraphs describing Pe and mom meeting you to your latest, Sept 10 entry, your writing is like following an adventure serial, which it is, but with clarity and humour. Just love your copy! I can only imagine your retellings will be even more richly embroidered.

Great reading of how you "manage" living outside your comfort zone and turn misadventures to adventures!

Now, how do I get to view some of your Facebook pix (since I hunch that's where you're putting more current and detailed pix/tales)?

Love ya Heidi. Take care and stay in touch. BTW, long distance collect calls are accepted! Dapapa.