4:05 PM

Eu Nao Falo Portuguese...

September 8, 2010

Last night, after a day at the markets, Pe, Tito, Maria and I went to a pub called ´Barro Jures´ for a few beers and conversation.  I tried my first caipirinha (delicious!), and have started to make a few observations about this glorious country.


1) The service here is amazing. The waiters are so attentive and polite, and will even try to speak in english for the gringo (me). I have tried a lot of the local food, a lot of meat, rice, and beans. I woke up this morning a little delicate, but I am hoping it is just from the caiporinha´s and cerveja´s (beer) from last night.

2) Speaking of beer, it is served is so much colder here! so far beer and coffee are superior in Brazil.  I think I will be indulging a lot in both...

3) Traffic:  Sao Paulo has a really interesting system, when license plates are issued, the last number dictates which day of the week you can drive during ´rush hour´ (to ease the traffic congestion). For example, if your license plate ends in a 4, you can drive on Thursday. how cool! Speaking of drivers, its complete organized chaos on the roads, but man, Brazilians are good drivers, they have to be.

Today Pe´s mum, Marialis, dropped me off on Paulista Avenue for my first solo outing! I met up with my friend Fernando and wandered the Avenue, which is one of the most famous streets in Sao Paulo. We grabbed a coffe (I attempted to order my own, but Fer had to interject after 10 minutes- haha) and we checked out the city. I bought Marilis flowers from a street vendor, it was really fun to watch Fer bargain the price for me, the vendor even threw in a ´free´ red rose for me :)

After a few hours of chatting and walking, I did something I am VERY proud of..........I came home on public trasport- BY MYLSEF!! no bid deal you might think...but oh my god, it was hard. When you get on the bus, there is a turnstyle that you go through after you pay your fare, I didnt realize it only rotated once, and didnt  quite make it through- everyone (including the driver and a small child in the front row) laughed (and pointed) at me !  Thank god I made it home, it was so nice to see the familiar streets again. 



3 comments:

Ginnie Thompson said...

Hi my sweetie - I am so happy to read what you have been doing and that you are doing well - and also huge thanks to Pedro and Marialis for looking after my very special and important daughter! ..and to the others who you know in San Paulo. Please say hello to them and pass on my best wishes to them. Maybe one day we can return the favour in Australia! I'm sure you are really enjoying the different culture and environment. Have a coffee for me! Love you lots...Mum and Brian xxxxx

Anonymous said...

I will pass that on :) they have become my brazilian family for sure, I´d be lost without them! I´m home today trying to plan my next leg of the trip...I think I will head to Campinas on Monday and then on to Paraty and Rio after that.

love you lots x x x x Heidi

Tyler said...

That's really cool about the license plates, but does that mean you have to leave for work two hours early every other day of the week?

I'm really enjoying your blog, Sis. keep it up. I'm not going to correct anything, but I noticed a few typos. May want to proofread. :)

Hope every day there is awesome, and I look forward to every post.